Wasps vs Yellowjackets
Does it Bite? — Episode 23
Episode Focus: Wasps, Yellow Jackets, and Mud Daubers
Join hosts Stephanie Fox and Michael Askew as they dive into the fascinating world of wasps, yellow jackets, and mud daubers. This episode is a must-listen for anyone who has ever wondered about these common, yet often misunderstood, insects.
Differentiating Wasps and Yellow Jackets:
- Appearance: Wasps have a more orangey-red color, while yellow jackets are distinguished by their nest location, often found at ground level.
- Nesting Habits: Wasps build nests under man-made structures, resembling upside-down umbrellas. Yellow jackets prefer ground-level nests, often in rural or farmland areas.
- These insects, similar in appearance to wasps but more black in color, are non-aggressive and beneficial as they prey on other pests. Their nests are distinctive mud tubes.
Behavior of Wasps and Yellow Jackets:
- Wasps: Generally docile and only sting when provoked.
- Yellow Jackets: More aggressive, likely to chase and sting if they perceive a threat.
Pest Control Techniques:
- Professionals use specific chemicals like 'wasp freeze' to deal with wasps effectively.
Preventative Measures for Homeowners:
- Sealing gaps and maintaining the house can prevent these insects from nesting. Wasps are drawn to warm areas, especially during cooler seasons, seeking warmth in homes.
- The episode provides an understanding of integrated pest management, emphasizing solutions beyond chemical treatments, like creating physical barriers and altering the environment to deter pests.
For more information, watch the podcast or check out our service page: https://www.bettercallbugtech.com/bees-wasps-hornets/